TRAINING & EVENTS
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
Improving Health and Safety Performance: Behaviour Change
Not all risks can be engineered out of the work environment. Even with the best plans, procedures and systems in place, risks may be taken due to a lack of understanding about a particular hazard, associated controls or inadequate training. To the organisation, some of the many costs can include lost time, damage to machinery, litigation, and prosecution. If unchecked, these costs can escalate.
What you will gain
This 2 day Health & Safety Performance – Behaviour Change training course, will provide an understanding of the many factors that influence both workers’ and managers’ behaviour. It will also highlight the strengths and weaknesses of traditional behaviour modification strategies for correcting unsafe and unhealthy behaviour. The course adopts a five-step approach to behaviour change and concludes with strategies to help reduce the likelihood of health and safety risk-taking behaviour. We will demonstrate how behaviour change, leadership and worker engagement can be incorporated into the wider health and safety management systems to ensure an integrated, effective approach to risk management.
- Why people take risks at work
- The consequences of risk taking for individuals and the organisation
- Preparing an organisation for a behaviour change programme
- Assessing safety culture and safety climate
- Strategies for influencing senior management
- Factors that influence behaviour outlining the model of behaviour change
- Human failure: errors and violations
- Strategies to identify the root cause of behaviours
- Evidence-based strategies to encourage safer and healthier behaviour, e.g.
- how to develop persuasive risk communication
- Worker engagement
- Leadership development
- How to impart knowledge
- Changing habits
- Mitigating perceptual biases
- Changing beliefs, values and attitudes
- Developing interpersonal skills
- Developing situational awareness
- Evaluating your programme and maintaining change
Who should attend?
The course is for health and safety managers with limited knowledge / experience of behaviour change approaches. It will also be relevant to those who have established behaviour change initiatives but are interested in how the psychological principles of human behaviour can be mapped onto an integrated health and safety management system.
Wales Quality Centre Certificates will be provided for this training.
This training can also be delivered in house contact us for details.
COURSE PRICES AND BOOKING INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND HERE